This week, Alec takes us on a ride between two parks with a spin through Fairmount Park and the one-and-only @bartramsgarden!
This ride does not end at a bar, but there are plenty of spots nearby for a drink / nosh including Bookers, Carbon Copy, Clarkville, Gojjo, Local 44, Loco Pez, and Renata’s Kitchen.
A few notes, complementary to our How We Ride guide:
- Stay behind the leader of the ride.
- Do not block intersections with stop lights, It’s OK for our group to get broken up at lights, in fact necessary as our ride grows in size. Stick with a group big enough to hold the lane, and make friends while waiting for a green light.
- Regroup points: one at our first pass through Clark Park and a second at Bartram’s Garden
- Tricky turns:
- After we leave Fairmount Park on N 41st, we’ll turn right onto Mantua followed by a quick bear left onto Pennsgrove
- When we turn right onto S 49th from Paschall, we’ll take the two-way bike lane on the east side of the street.
- Exiting Bartram’s Garden, there’s no light where we will take the left onto Elmwood. Volunteers will marshall folks across in batches when it’s safe to do so.
- If you ride with your phone or bike computer mounted on the bike, please pin or download the route using RideWithGPS or download the GPX file to use in your app/computer of choice ahead of time and run it in navigation during the ride. The more people who know where we’re going, the better!
The forecast looks encouraging this week, but since it’s thunderstorm season, our practice is not to make a call on weather until day-of to give Mother Nature every possible opportunity to change her mind. We’ll cancel any ride by 3pm that day. It’s gonna be a hot one though, so bring plenty of water and stay hydrated!
Thanks for riding!